Creating a sacred space in your home does not have to be very difficult. You just need to set your mind to it and just begin. A sacred space can be a project that you complete as soon a you start or it can be a work in progress. The smart start is to do a Spiritual Cleaning of your home — it just sets the stage clean. When you have an altar in your home, you can connect to the sacred and your spirituality on a daily basis.
Many people believe that where in the home this space is located is important. I believe it is setting the intention for the space is more important. Not everyone can dedicate a room or single space in your home. In that case pick a small area in a room that feels good to you.
For the longest time I had a small alter in my bedroom. Today I have an office and it has morphed into a sacred space on its own. I still have the alter, but the entire space is dedicated to my Spiritual Practice. There are many thoughts about creating alters and sacred spaces.
- Guest Bedroom
- Closet floor
- Fireplace Mantel
- Top of a dresser
- Create a portable space by filling a box with objects that are meaningful to you
Things you may want in your sacred space that I have or have seen others use include:
- Things from nature – leaves, shells, stones and feathers
- Smudge sticks
- Things that you collect – stones, pennies (anything that your are drawn to)
- Small animal totems
- Your favorite Spiritual Tools
- Small statues that mean something to you
- Ganesha – the remover of obstacles
- Saraswati – the Hindu Goddess of the arts and knowledge
- Hanuman – for his devotion and love
- Quan Yin – the Buddhist Goddess of compassion
- You may have pieces of fabric, ribbon or special clothing that has importance to you
- Tarot or Oracle cards
- Inspirational Quotes
- Glass dishes, metal candle holders or small boxes to create different levels
- A doll
- Hat, gloves, fan, or hankie
- Postcards of places you find inspiring
- Cards you received
- Photos that inspired you
- Flowers (fresh or artificial) or a plat
This should start you on your way to creating a sacred space for yourself. Remember there is no right or wrong way. Make it special for you. Trust yourself and do what feels good for you. If you fin yourself stuck, clean the space, change things up and see how that helps you. Remember that items that have significance to you and brings you feelings of celebration, peace, love, or inspiration, it’s a good choice.