One of my favorite cookies are Walnut Chocolate Chip Cookies. We are in the deep of winter and it is my favorite time to bake. Cooking brings me joy and I am often asked for my recipes. So I started here with some of my favorite. Warms up the house and the bonus of fresh made cookies at home.
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I have. Making cookies from scratch can take some time, but they are so much better than store bought cookies. These cookies if you wish can be frozen and put in a lunch to act as a ice pack for your lunch.
For me baking as a kid was with by grandmother and this is one of the many things I am grateful for. I struggled with fractions for a very long time, cooking gave understanding of fractions. So it was all that cooking and baking with her that made fractions easy.
I have made these Walnut Chocolate Chip Cookies several times with and without the dark chocolate bar, my preference is without and just add more regular chocolate chips or walnuts. They were my go to post surgery on my BRCA journey. They are my treat post op.
So what are your favorite cookies? I have lots of favorites, sugar cutouts, peanut butter cookies, shortbread cookies, iced oatmeal and vanilla wafers to know a few…
Walnut Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 Cookie Sheet
- 1 parchment paper
- ½ cup vegetable shortening
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar packed
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp banking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 3 oz dark chocolate bar chopped
- 1 cup walnuts hopped
- Preheat oven to 375°F and line a large, rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or a baking mat. Set aside.
- Cream shortening and butter with granulated and brown sugars in a large mixing bowl. Mix in eggs and vanilla extract until well blended.
- Add in flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Mix to combine.
- Fold in chocolate chips,chopped chocolate and walnuts until thoroughly combined.
- Use a large cookie dough scoop to make 24 balls of dough. Place 6 balls of dough on the prepared baking sheet with 1-2 inches in between each ball. Flatten dough with the bottom of a glass.
- 1. Place in pre-heated oven and bake 10-12 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through. Remove from oven and cool slightly before serving. Enjoy!